The Carolina Inn

Item

The Carolina Inn pictured from the front in 2014
The Helper Hotel in the 1870s
The Old Inn in the 1950s
The Carolina Inn in the 1970s
The Carolina Inn
Title
The Carolina Inn
Description
First constructed as a store in 1848. Purchased in 1855 by
Hanson Pinkney Helper and remodeled into a thirteen-room hotel. Purchased around 1901 by the Sloan family and operated as a boarding house and weekend rooming house for visiting college girls. Purchased by the college in 1946. Used in the 1950s and 1960s as a Teen Canteen. Renovated in 1971. Designated as a Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Site in 1977.
Date
1848
Alternative Title
Helper Hotel
Old Inn