Dates: Built in 1836-37. Demolished in 1909.
Quote: The first non-residential building erected on the old quadrangle was the Steward’s Hall (completed a year before the chapel) at which all students were required to eat. They furnished much of the food themselves because in those early days of self-help students worked (in accordance with ages and sizes) a certain number of hours on the college farm. This was about where the E. H. Little Library is today and eastward. The Steward’s Hall stood a few yards west of the present Guest House, its front retaining wall now separating the lawn from the parking lot. Davidson, Chalmers. “Davidson Dining: the way it was.” Davidson Update. August 1981: 4.