Dates: Built in 1903. Demolished in 1955
Quote: The erection and furnishing of this building mark the beginningof a new era of comfort and convenience in student life at Davidson. Although the exterior is almost severely plain, no expense has been spared to make the building a model in light, ventilation, and comfort. A fire-wall, without openings, divides the whole building into two halves, each with its own entrance and stairway, and each of these has three floors, with five rooms on a floor. There are thus no long hallways or noisy corridors, and only ten students on each of the six floors. . . . All rooms are heated by steam, and each is supplied with one or two large closets, a book shelf, two single iron beds, and a well-made set of furniture. Nor has the aesthetic been neglected. Each room is supplied with a picture shelf, six feet from the floor, extending around the entire floor, in addition to the ordinary picture moulding near the ceiling, and the walls are tinted in delicate and harmonious shades of olive and green. “The New Dormitory” Davidson College Bulletin (Souvenir Album). November 1903.
Named for: Jethro Rumple, class of 1850 and member of the Board of