President’s House – Louisiana
Date: Built in 1840s, south-west corner of Main and Griffith Street; demolished in 1934
President Samuel Williamson inhabited the original President’s House only for a short time. The original President’s House did not suit Williamson and with the money from a fundraising campaign, another President’s House named “Louisiana” was constructed in 1850. The house, built where the current Visual Arts Center is located, was home to six other presidents until 1901. It was home to Presidents Williamson, Lacy, Kirkpatrick, McPhail, McKinnon, and Shearer. (DC 9-0885) While six of the college’s presidents resided in “Louisiana,” the original President’s House was used as a faculty home for Colonel William J. Martin, Sr (Hamrick) and William J. Martin, Jr. The original President’s House was used again by President William J. Martin, Jr. because he was already living there when he was elected president (Kuykendall).